Up n Down
At 7:50PM, the doctor came in and examined me. I was completely
dilated and effaced, but the baby had moved up
instead of down
left for a minute to consult our Midwife, and then came back in to explained the situation
- My pelvis is more of a triangular shape than most women's.
- The baby was posterior and was unlikely to fit through my pelvis from that position.
- In addition, my sacrum (tailbone) is straight, instead of curved.
- My cervix was also slightly tilted, making it extremely unlikely that this baby could be
- I was exhausted, the baby's heartrate had lost variability (it should have changed in
response to the contractions but didn't),
- and my bladder was filled to capacity.
The doctor recommended that we do a c-section and have a healthy baby, but let us know
that we still had a good chance at a vaginal birth next time around. He left me and Joe
alone to make the decision.
Jennifer Pearson / jenn at pearson dot org